Parking

For chatting, generally, about bikes...

Moderators: Majik, Boosh

Site Admin

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:13 pm

Scarlet wrote:Paul, do you know if the CCTV is just a recorder or someone watching on the other end ???

Well it could be both, Not sure about this situation. You'll have to ask Mike

but in my situation there was someone sitting the other end and was watching it and informed the police. At the same time a guy in the flat next door was informing the police, and so was i as i was running down the stairs.
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Simple wrote:Paul a.k.a 'chief clevage cam operator, Essex.'

Wheelie Mad

Postby mike » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:25 pm

ok, i wont bother telling anyone what positive steps are being taken to improve things for anyone riding bikes in the area. I could recommend that nothing more be done to improve security, protection from tree sap, bird poo, adverse weather as you all seem to prefer to park where ever you like, legal or otherwise and when/if your bike gets nicked or damaged you can only blame "them" for ignoring bikers needs. I could walk to your bike with a couple of mates and take it whether you can see it or not, no problem. what are going to do? I was at the Belgrade earlier and sat and watched the cctv footage. if someone decided they wanted to do anyhything with your bike, they would have to be bloody quick. the security fellas are not many steps away. the man in charge of the project is very helpful and any suggestions we have will be given serious consideration.

I have to say the attitude shown by some of you makes absolutley no sense and it comes as no surprise when when I hear the "apathy" tag applied to us all. get a grip please, and see that this is not purely for your benefit but for everyone that rides a bike or may ride one once congestion charging is introduced nationally.

you complain about soft tarmac on what you thought was the only bike parking in town when in fact for a number of years there have been 2. there were about 8+ places we could park but we lost those, now we are working to regain them and more. The area in salt lane behind the banks is actually illegal as you have to cross double yellow lines and it is a pavement or footpath. we are working to make this a legitimate bike park but i doubt that will get anything but a slagging.

of course we'd all love to park where we can see them but that is just not possible for the majority of us.

park outside the litten tree (Bull yard) and nip up to ann summers or to the market and surprise, surprise, you can't see your bike anymore. park outside the window to your office or lecture theatre and and go for a dump, where's your bike now?
I play russian roulette every day with a bullet called life

Site Admin

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:32 pm

mike wrote:ok, i wont bother telling anyone what positive steps are being taken to improve things for anyone riding bikes in the area.....

We didn't, well i didnt say stop.

Its beneficial for both members and visitors to find out all we can about whats being done for us.

Yes some people will be negative and critical about it yet others will say its great or agree with it but thats how life is.

I personally would like to find out what all is being done and im sure the others would too. And yes some people will slag it off or point out its negitive points.

But pointing out negative points can help improve it in the future. Although i agree its not nice to just hear negative comments
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Wheelie Mad

Postby mike » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:43 pm

I don't mind hearing or reading the negative points but so far all i've seen is out of hand dismissal.

It was suggested that lockers be provided like those at the railway stations of years ago but the police objected (quite rightly) as they can be used for pick up points by drug dealers etc. There are other plans being considered which to me sound much better and 100% secure.

Wheelie Mad

Postby mike » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:39 am

While reading the west midlands motorcycle strategy draft, which is due for publication next year, I remebered something about the secure lockers for helmets and other gear that was mentioned by the gaffer at the belgrade. The police don't recommend their use as they can be used as drop off's by drug dealers etc. instead we are in talks to have some lockers within the security guards booth. that way, only bike gear can be left. if anyone has a better suggestion, other than carrying it around with you, please speak up. any new business starting up or moving into new premises now has to have a travel plan. in that plan, they must include the needs of bikers they may employ, such as a locker big enough to get your helmet in and wet weather gear storage.

Nearly there.....

Postby Simple » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:48 pm

mike wrote:such as a locker big enough to get your helmet in and wet weather gear storage.

How about a drying room :lol:
Collector of the strays

Wheelie Mad

Postby mike » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:04 pm

you may chuckle but some work places have even got showers which were requested by biking employees :shock:

Site Admin

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:44 pm

mike wrote:.....The police don't recommend their use as they can be used as drop off's by drug dealers etc. instead we are in talks to have some lockers within the security guards booth.....

Now that seems like a much better idea. Just hope the security guard isnt a theif :P

I'd be happy with a locker for my helmet in the office. Altho will there be anywhere to hang a leather jacket?

Wheelie Mad

Postby mike » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:55 pm

now we're talking :)
what we can possibly work with is a set of lockers to hang helmets and jackets within the foyer, right outside the security booth. I dunno, maybe pay a deposit on a key with the security people only giving them to bikers? how about something similar to nightclub cloak rooms except with locked doors?
Fire away.
If anyone wants to go and have a look, the best entrance at the mo is from the radford road/city centre junction. same entrance as the old leigh mills car park. park up and follow the red walkway which brings you out behind the theatre. it's right posh foyer with ticket machines and security room with the cctv equipment. looks more like the entrance to an office block than a car park.

Ped boi

Postby John-Boy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:04 pm

I went to use the HSBC at Ball Hill the other day and the left turn into Brays Lane is closed (why?). So I turned right into Clay Lane and went into the car park, which I don't normally do. To my surprise there is a pedal cycle parking area by the entrance and next to it a motorcycle bay. Looks new - room for a fair number of bikes and a very solid hitching rail to lock your bike to.
When I say very solid I mean VERY SOLID. Don't expect to put a shackle lock round it we are looking at some big pipes here, I'll bring a chain next time.
Left my Tiger there, all by himself, not another 2 wheeler to be seen, powered or otherwise.
Nice provision of facilities, let's hope it gets some use.

Reginald

bike park

Postby capireg » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm

that pic of the bike park you got there looks well sorted, i don't think we've got anything like that in brum. i remember when we use the new bike park at stratford in the summer and on our return to said bike park, several bikes had keeled over on the substanded tarmac, mine was fine it fell against a blade on its center stand ( no harm done ) hehe, they've sorted it now but you still have to cross car traffic on your way into the bike park and not all car drivers ( bike/car drivers accepted) give you time or room to cross, they'll sort that soon too hopefully. :roll:
this is the block of text that can be added to posts you make, there is a 255 character limit.............no shit sherlock

Workshop Mod

Re: bike park

Postby Martin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:46 pm

capireg wrote:that pic of the bike park you got there looks well sorted, i don't think we've got anything like that in brum. i remember when we use the new bike park at stratford in the summer and on our return to said bike park, several bikes had keeled over on the substanded tarmac, mine was fine it fell against a blade on its center stand ( no harm done ) hehe, they've sorted it now but you still have to cross car traffic on your way into the bike park and not all car drivers ( bike/car drivers accepted) give you time or room to cross, they'll sort that soon too hopefully. :roll:

Brindley Place of broad street is quite good but you have to pay a £1 and the tickets never bloody work!!!!
You only need 2 tools:
WD-40 and Duct tape.
If it doesnt move and it should, use WD-40
If it moves and it shouldnt, use Duct tape
D-Rider wrote:Yeah - I had two birds last year

Reginald

Postby capireg » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:16 pm

thanks martin, but i've got no plans to take my pride and joy and leave it in brum city center all by its lonesome, think i'd rather take the bus lol
this is the block of text that can be added to posts you make, there is a 255 character limit.............no shit sherlock

Race Me

Postby D-Rider » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Went into Cov the other night for a meal with people from work. Parked in this parking area for the first time. Was very impressed with it.

Thanks and well done to those that put it in place. :D

Where's this car park??

Postby Happyface » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 am

Hi,

Where's this car park? I didn't know that there was parking place for bikes.
Happy biking!!!!

SS

PreviousNext

Return to General Bike Chat