Monkeystew's Supermono project

Technical discussions and mechanical advice. Need help with your bike?

Moderators: Majik, Boosh, Martin

DAS'ing

Re: Monkeystew's Supermono project

Postby monkeystew » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 pm

It works!!!

Project supermono made its official debut at Rockingham last weekend on a No Limits trackday and it works!! 3 years, one house move and untold periods of downtime have finally created a trackday bike from a pile of left overs...:

I had a few teething problems as expected on an untested bike. After the first session the chain adjusters had vibrated loose leaving the chain hanging off the sprockets, The temp gauge mounting bracket nuts also vibrated loose never to be seen again. Worst of all though is after the first session the swingarm, battery tray and shock were covered in oil. God knows how it didn't get on the tyre or track but it was a lucky escape...

Turns out one of the small bore pipes I had routed into an oil catch bottle was pumping oil out at a rate fast enough to fill the bottle and overflow down the undertray and the back of the bike..Took a bit of working out wh but having re-jigged the pipes and the oil bottle it was all safe and oil tight again by the afternoon.

So whats left to do? Biggest job is it won't rev out. It gets to about 5.5K and starts to miss and cough.. It could be any of the below so the next job might be some trial and error at a dyno to sort it out:

1.Silencers had to be stuffed with wire wool along with the dB killers to meet the 104db noise limit.. It might be "bunged up" and unable to breathe now. Given the silencers are dented and split a new pair might have to be acquired and fitted.

2.The "modified " ECU with resistor mod to raise the red line may be duff. I'll swap for the standard TDM850 in the spares box to see if there is any difference

3.I had to create a vacuum take off on one of the carb rubbers to operate the fuel pump. Could be that its too small and the fuel pump isn't keeping the carbs full. The bike only suffers on the straights but pulls OK out of the slower corners and twisty bits.

4.I have a second hand keyless filler cap fitted. Not 100% sure the breather hole is adequate so I might swap back to an oiginal Yamaha cap with key.
On the plus side the Wilbers rear shock seemed to work great. No worries about the handling and the brakes were good although I'd prefer a bit more bite and feel

In summary...
Always stuff to do as no project build is ever truely finished but I'm realy pleased that all those nights in the garage have turned into somethng that works and didn't break (much) shamke i got it ready just in time for the cold weather though......Roll on spring!!

125cc racer

Postby banner001 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:40 pm

looking good there!
'94 ZXR 400 L4

Knee Down King

Postby Pesky164 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 pm

Good work chap, its not winter yet :wink:

Paul :D
Can't be F*****g arsed!!

Wuss Management

Postby Willopotomas » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Nice one. 8)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

DAS'ing

Postby lloydiecbr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 pm

nice one . im just starting to build a trackday bike from spares but i fear it will have more bling than the road bike .

Wheelie Mad

Postby evoboy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Good to see it finally at the track!

Have to give me a shout next time you venture out on it!

Betty Spagetti

Postby timthemanc » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Stu that's fantastic !! Pm me I've lost your number......and address !
Yes I'm a disorganised tw@ :D
Hope you and Jen are well ?
Accelerate hard till ya see god ..Then brake !!
Ya know your accelerating to hard wen your head pops out of your ass !!

DAS'ing

Postby monkeystew » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Finally got project Supermono onto a dyno to cure a mystery misfire. Having sorted a stripped thread on the ignition pick up and a dodgy electrical connection to the coil they finally got some clean power runs:

76 HP at the crank or 70 hp at the rear wheel ain't bad for an engine that started as an XTZ660 with 48hp.......

Previous

Return to The Workshop